Shaving can be so tedious. For those stricken with excessive amounts of unwanted body hair, it can feel like full-time work. The job takes extra time in the shower and meticulous exfoliating to eliminate razor burn. No matter how careful you are, it seems there’s always one spot that gets missed.
When is the best time to seek hair removal treatment?
Since bathing suit season is several months away, now is prime time to start your journey to permanent hair removal. You will not only be beach ready by summer; the cold weather will keep you out of the sun during your treatment. Professional laser hair removal and sun exposure don’t mix. Avoiding the sun will protect your skin from darkening or burning, so the laser finds the pigment in your hair, not in your skin.
What is laser hair removal?
Today, both women and men are choosing hair removal with a laser and IPL (Intense Pulse Light), it has become widely popular in recent years. It is very customizable. The laser can be used to clean up your bikini line, to remove unwanted armpit hair or to polish an unsightly, hairy back.
Why pay for laser hair removal instead of shaving, tweezing or waxing?
Long-term hair removal treatment results in enviable skin that is permanently smooth. It is a worthwhile investment, but one that can be expensive upfront. But think about how much time and money you will save over the years on razors, shaving lotions, creams and wax! Eventually, the procedure will pay for itself.
The science behind the laser and the IPL
There are several good reasons why you should seek hair removal now, instead of later:
- Laser hair removal works best on dark hair and fair skin: The laser used during hair removal treatment works by targeting the dark pigment inside of hair follicles. Heat is produced which cauterizes the follicle hindering hair growth.
- Sun exposure: During the fall and winter, most people seek indoor activities. As temperatures drop, so does sun exposure. But as soon as the warmer weather starts to trickle in, many folks are eager to enjoy pleasant days outside. When skin is exposed to UV rays, tanning and burning is inevitable. This skin darkening can make the hair removal laser less effective, making treatment pointless. To avoid damaging the skin any further, less power would be used during the process, which may not be enough to render the follicle inactive. Besides, if the tanned skin is very dark, the laser will target the heavily pigmented skin instead of the hair follicle.
- The laser is not attracted to pale blonde or gray hair: As people age their hair follicles begin to produce less melanin (the natural pigment the gives hair and skin its color), and they accumulate more gray hairs. This process begins as early as in the 30s and afflicts hair on the head, face, and throughout the body. It is just a matter of time, it happens to all of us. When it does, there is no more pigment available in the hair and no target left for the laser/IPL to locate. If you wait too long to have your unwanted hair removed, you may end up eliminating this long-term solution. Many people end up being disappointed and wish they would have known this before they lost their natural pigment. People with light blond or gray hair must settle for electrolysis, shaving, plucking or waxing.
If you are an ideal candidate for permanent hair removal, why waste any more time plucking and shaving? It is estimated that the time an average woman spends removing her own body hair throughout her lifetime will equal approximately 72 days. What makes this number even more daunting is that more than 35 percent of women claim they hate shaving their legs more than any other part of their daily routine.
Here are some additional reasons why the time is now to get the hair-free skin you desire:
- Rid yourself of those unattractive ingrown hairs.
One of the worst side effects of regular shaving is pesky ingrown hairs. They are unsightly, often get infected, cause breakouts and are difficult to remove. Laser hair removal will eliminate these bumpy blemishes for good.
- Smoother, more touchable skin.
Shaving will result in smooth skin for a while, but not for long. Body hair grows continuously at a constant rate. If you are hair free, your skin will always be smooth.
- Feel better about your appearance.
If you are embarrassed by excessive body hair above your lip, under your arms or on your back, if can take a toll on your confidence level. Hair removal can restore your self-esteem and wipe away feelings of embarrassment.
- No more pain or discomfort.
If you are hair-free you will eliminate the pain associated with hot wax and razor cuts. There will no longer be a need to let your hairs grow so you can rip them out from the roots.
- Always be smooth and hair-free.
Regardless of the season or the occasion, you won’t have to bother with shaving. Your silky skin will be ready to bare at any time.
- Laser and IPL treatments are pain-free.
Permanent hair removal methods have well advanced and are now very effective and safer than ever. With the cooling systems in place to shield vulnerable skin during the process, your experience will virtually be without pain.
Why settle for the hassle of shaving, waxing or plucking when there is a permanent solution?
Unless you are not a good candidate for treatment, laser/IPL is the best option. Why not go for the long-lasting removal of unwanted facial and body hair? The painless process permanently destroys the hair follicle beneath the skin and prevents the hairs from growing back. If you wait too long, you may miss your chance of enjoying silky, hair-free skin every day and every season.